Friday, January 25, 2013

Question: Creating Practice Plan




Question 


You coached me at Bryan Trottier Hockey Camp about 20 years ago.  I am a first year head coach in High School Hockey. I am having problems organizing my practice plan. I tend not to get everything done I schedule.  Do you have some ideas you can share on creating a practice plan? 


Answer

Here are some guidelines you can use for creating a practice plan:
  1. How many practices do you have per week?
  2. How much time do you have?
  3. How many players are on your team?
  4. What do you want to teach them?
  5. How many repetitions is each player getting?
  6. Do you have a yearly, monthly and weekly plan?

Tips:

1. Focus on fundamental - The best skilled teams usually win. 
2. Practice the things that happen all the time.
3. Practice thing that happen a lot.
4. Write out your plan.
5. Prioritize what is most important.
5. Rewrite your plan and delete items.



 “Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals.”
- Jim Rohn 



Things That Happen All the Time:
  • Possession of puck
  • Fighting for possession
  • Transition Offense to defense
  • Transition Defense to offense
  • Loose pucks
  • Shots, Rebounding and Saves


My former junior coach from Long Island Norm Ryder once told me, "the best way to be successful is to get off the bus with the best players."




Related Videos & Teaching Points:









No comments:

Post a Comment