Marian Gaborik Scored Game Winning Goal In Third Overtime - Invert Offence Tactics
Sweden Invert Offence Tactics
Invert Offence Causes Confusion For Finland
Team USA utilized the area behind the goal to give Finland headaches all game. Team USA shot the puck in around the boards. USA cycled, crossed, continuously passed the puck back behind the goal line. . USA tactic was to out work, out muscle and cause confusion at the net. Team Finland attention was below the goal line and they lost their men in the defensive zone. Team USA moved the puck to the point or to the net where men were open.
Why Use Invert Offence:
- Forces 2 & 3 players to pick up players behind the goal line
- Forces the forwards to come down low, opening passing lane to point men
- The defenders focus their attention below the goal line
- Shoot or pass around boards
- Arrive quickly on puck
- Good angling and circular approach skills
- Good 1 v 1 skills offensive zone
- Good puck protection skills
- Picking the puck up and taking it to net
- Be a threat to score
- The defense is high, move the puck low
- The defense is low, move the puck high
- Take the puck to the net
This is the same tactics the New York Rangers used against the Washington Capitals 2011-12 playoffs. This is becoming a dominate tactic in NHL. The size of the players and new rules make this effective tactic in the game today.
All five players are focused on man behind goal line.
All five players are below face off circle.
Team USA has time and space for shot and is screening the goalie.
Team Finland stops pass to point. Strong side wings skates are pointing up ice.